I grew up in Michigan, and was lucky enough to be in college when The White Stripes revived rock ‘n’ roll. 15 years ago, October 2005 I took my younger brother Griff to the Masonic Temple in Detroit. I had gotten us tickets to the “Get Behind Me Satan” tour. Third row.
If you have never been to this venue, I absolutely implore you to go. The Masonic Temple (The Masonic) is the largest building of its kind in the world, not to mention phenomenal acoustics.
I vividly remember watching Jack White, looking as if he had seizures of joy, as he ran back and forth on the stage ripping a cherry-red stratocaster guitar, with unknown precision. He is truly an artist who cares less if there’s an audience watching him, with eyes closed and head convulsing with every note. This man loves what he does.
After the concert, we couldn’t hear for 3 days. Never had I been so proud of being temporarily deaf.
Here are some of my personal favorites of Mr. Jack & Mrs. Meg White. They were married by the way…….
In no particular order……
- “My Doorbell” – Get Behind Me Satan
- “Hotel Yorba” – White Blood Cells
- “Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground” – White Blood Cells
- “There’s No Home for You Here” – Elephant
- “I Just Don’t Know What to do with Myself” Elephant
- “The Denial Twist” – Get Behind Me Satan
- “Fell In Love with A Girl” – The White Stripes
- “Ball and Biscuit” – Elephant
- “Hello Operator” – De Stijl
- “When I Hear My Name” – The White Stripes
- * “Carolina Drama” – The Raconteurs ( this one’s for you Griff)
Tonights evening set list for cooking dinner was inspired by The White Stripes and the raw, loud,and uniquely poetic sound they innovated. Vodka Chicken Pasta with sautéed Carrot Spears and Garlic Toast Points.
You must be logged in to post a comment.